Search

Sunday 24 July 2016

Blames and Pain

                                                         
                                                           
I always never understood why people relied on alcohol because they had to relieve pain. To my best understanding, I didn’t see the correlation between the two: drinking to let go off pain. Well, anytime people drank because they needed to relieve pain from loss or something, the alcohol only aggravated the situation. I believe it only made them shy away from reality for but a moment. In my case, it was not my loss that caused me to drink but the pressure that accompanied it. Indeed, when times change, people change too. Three years into my construction business, I lost everything. It happened so quickly that I could hardly figure out what triggered the collapse and the loss. Losing my job meant severe hardship since it was the only one my family depended on for a living. With my responsibility as the man of the house, my wife didn’t have to work for any reason. She only stayed home to take care of the children and the necessary house chores. Having a house wife wasn’t a weird thing to do especially in the town we lived in. However, what became weird was when I asked my wife to search for a temporary job that could sustain the family for the time being as I continued to look for a new job. With the little money I had left, she started petty trading in foodstuffs at the town market.  We at least had some money to survive with her work until things changed. She could rarely find market for the goods. Some went bad overtime which meant a loss to her. Things became harder than ever and having to live to be blamed for everything that happened was heartbreaking for me. She blamed me for her loss. She blamed me when we had to eat once a day. She blamed me when the children were sacked for fees and when the landlord threatened to throw us out if we didn’t pay for rent. Having to be blamed for our every misfortune was a blow to me. I could no longer live in the reality of my loss and unending blame. To shy away from the reality, I started drinking.

I spent every little money I got from friends and what I stole from my wife on alcohol. I drank so much that, I no more had an ear for insults from my wife or anyone. But when I wasn’t drunk, I regretted that life that I lived. Alcohol gave me a temporary shield where I got away from the blames and pain of reality. Deep within me, I knew it did no good to me, my wife or my children. But it put me in a world where I could live without blames, a world where my loss could be seen as restorable. I try, but it gets even harder coming out of this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment