Search

Monday 18 July 2016

HIS INNER MAN

                                                      

What comes to mind when we think of the deadly, oh I mean deadly diseases. We first think of Aids, Cancer, Diabetes, Stroke, and the like. No doubt that these diseases are deadly! But I will like to draw our minds to what kills us slowly, gradually from the inside. I believe in the power of what kills us internally, and that is addiction. I believe I am not alone on this one, how does it feel when after chewing your gum, and the next minute, you find it stacked to a shirt you are wearing. What is the feeling like? So much anger and frustration right, because it becomes so so difficult to get it off. Sometimes, we don’t even succeed in getting it off until of course after months and months of thorough washing. The force that attracts a gum to a shirt is fast and easy. However, getting this gum poses a bigger problem that we wished it had never gotten stacked to our shirt. Indeed, it is easy to destroy than to build. This scenario can well be likened to alcoholism and its associated abuse. It takes just a little pain, eagerness, frustration, anger, anxiety, a little joy to take a sip of alcohol. However, this sip grows into two, three, a bottle, and then bottles of alcohol till one’s life is all about drinking. The saddest part is that, it takes almost forever to get away from alcohol.
Personally, I have been under the abuse of alcohol for about ten years of my life. Alcohol was able to change my father from a lovely person into a completely different, one who was dangerous to live with. Alcohol made him a two-in-one person. When he drank, be became a mini beast. He abused the family in many ways. He forcefully took money from my mother’s little trading business to drink. Other times too, he used every pessewa of the money he got from laboring to work. When he got drank, he disturbed the entire neighborhood, he put the house in chaos: he threw away relevant things, spoils food, scattered everything he could lay his hand on. At times, he beat us (my siblings and I) and our mother. Things got terribly worse when he was drunk. But immediately he recovered, he became that lovely, caring father that anyone could be. This made him even creepy to live with, because one moment he is laughing with you, and another he is chasing you with a pestle for money to drink.
I am not, I mean never happy that he drinks but one thing I know is, he feels remorseful for his actions, he regrets anytime he recovered so bad that he wishes he will never drink again. But his past keeps pulling him back anytime he tries. He lost all his possessions, his home, and his beautiful family in a blink of an eye. Living up to this reality where we all have to struggle to make a living leaves him in a state of failure, meaning all those years he worked hard, so hard for us, he only worked to lose everything in the end.

Like my father, a lot of people, good people are transformed into devils and beasts because of what alcohol make them do. They try a lot of times, but it gets even harder stopping. Due to my personal experience, it has now been my desire to one day help people get out of the trap of drinking. But it is easier said than done. In other to reach this dream, I need to understand people and know why they really drink. This blog is a personal project where I express empathy for alcoholics, sharing their stories to inspiration to others who drink and those who do not ever want to be like them. But one thing we need to always remember is that, these people are just like us. Alcohol only makes them who they are not. They have an inner man, who is lovely, kind, caring and happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment